Looking for another comforting wildgame recipe that will keep you warm and cozy?
Try making this Antelope Chile Verde Stew with both ground and cubed meat, two types of roasted chiles and toasted seasonings. The flavorful combination will elevate every delicious bite.
You can also substitute other game meat such as elk, venison or sheep.
- 3/4 – 1 pound antelope roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 pounds ground antelope
- 6-8 Anaheim Chile peppers
- Hatch diced green chiles (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups pinto beans (soaked and pre-cooked)
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat an outdoor grill and roast Anaheim Chile peppers on all sides until skin becomes charred, about 10 minutes. Carefully remove from grill and place in a plastic storage bag for a few minutes. This allows the steam to release making the skin easy to remove. When cooled, remove the stem, outer skin and some of the seeds. Roughly chop and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat a small skillet over low heat and add the cumin and coriander seeds. Toast the seeds until they become fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to burn. Remove from heat to cool. Using a mortar and pestle or a small grinder, grind the seeds until they’ve turned into a coarse powder. (If you don’t have cumin and coriander seeds to toast, substitute with cumin and coriander powder).
- Heat a heavy stock pot over medium heat and add oil. Sprinkle cubed antelope with salt, pepper and flour. Working in batches, brown the cubed antelope meat, remove and set aside when done. Add onions and garlic cooking until onions are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the ground antelope meat to the onions and cook until browned. Combine the chiles, cooked pinto beans, beef broth, cilantro and cubed antelope with the onions. Add the cumin, coriander, oregano, salt and bay leaf stirring gently to combine all ingredients. Cover partially with a lid allowing the steam to release while cooking. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- You can also use a slow cooker if you prefer. Simply follow the above directions and then combine all ingredients into the slow cooker. Set the temperature to low and cook for 2-4 hours.